Friday, September 20, 2013

Exploration


In the spirit of exploration and technology, I've been thinking about digital media that inspires us to try new things and document. Although this isn't as cool as sending something into space, its really neat to think about the new technology that is available to give us a different interaction with the world around us! 

I really enjoy the videos like the one I have posted below because they really capture the spirit of adventure. It motivates me to step outside my comfort zone and see the world differently. All of a sudden I want to do something that I've never done before.

Check it out!



It's not only amazing that this -shall I call it recreational activity- exists but it is also amazing that it can be seen and virtually experienced to create wonder. This spirit of adventure is alive and well in the virtual community and it's there for us. Recently, my husband and I have been into hiking and backpacking. It's amazing how I can go online, research trails and read reviews so that I can get the most out of my experience! Crowdsourcing has been so helpful to me personally I have been able to get information from people who have an interest in the outdoors just like I do!

My hope is that we can all explore the world around us a little better. Maybe explore a long-lost interest. Or maybe be like me and explore Tahoe, California. You'll be grateful you did!!

My view of Lake Tahoe this summer


4 comments:

  1. So cool! Look what we can do when we put our minds together and go outside of our comfort zone. I really want to try the flyboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about digital culture allowing us to see the world differently. To me, that's one of the best parts of digital culture-- connecting to one another and seeing the world through someone else's eyes for a moment. It helps me remember how many great things (and people!) there are in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this catches the spirit of exploration I was trying to convey in class, and it especially shows how the digital can be a bridge to the physical world. We may indeed be excited to get out in nature or get physical exercise from seeing a video like this one -- even if we never come close to using those amazing fly boards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally LOVE this post, because my fiancé and I did this all summer long. We also love hiking and kayaking and biking, and I am personally so grateful for the reviews and help from people online for allowing us to have a great experience. One of my favorite things to do is to browse different iPhone apps about local activities/foods, etc that allow great input from other people.

    ReplyDelete