Friday, October 25, 2013

The Joys of Wikispaces

All right, so my last blog post about Wikispaces was more along the lines of how I've been using it to curate for my early returned missionary project. So, this post will be more about what Wikispaces can be used for in general.

First off, what is a wiki? I'm going to steal Wikispaces's definition because it's a good one. A wiki is a space on the Web where you can share work and ideas, pictures and links, videos and media--and anything else you can think of. You can create folders to organize your information, making it so that all of your research material can be organized and stored in one place.You don't have to share it though. It can be private too, like mine.

Wikispaces is very user-friendly. You don't have to be too tech-saavy to understand it at all.  They give you a visual editor and a bunch of other tools to make sharing and editing content very easy. Everything is very straightforward, and if you get confused their "Help" page seems very thorough. I haven't had to use it yet, but maybe my wiki just doesn't need to be very complicated, so I don't need to worry about any of the extra technical stuff (like commenting or collaborating).

Anyways, with Wikispaces you can create a wiki for yourself or for a group. It can be for any industry, and you don't even need to name your industry if you just want one for personal use. Right now, they are advertising more the use of wikis as a classroom tool. They promise that their wikis will help educators "teach easier," "improve outcomes," and "engage students."


I'm excited that I found Wikispaces to help me create an easy-to-use wiki. It seems like it'll be a great tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment