Friday, November 15, 2013

Meeting Queequeg via Tagul

My Tagul Word Cloud for Queequeg's Introduction

I really liked the Word Cloud that Greg made using Tagul. I decided to do my own experiment with Tagul and look at Queequeg in a more substantial way.

First I used the Gutenberg Project to pull up the HTML version of Moby Dick online. I copied the paragraph where Ishmael first introduces us to Queequeg to see what the patterns are in our understanding of Queequeg's character through Melville's choice of words.

It was significant to me that the most frequented word in Queequeg's description was "head." The head is very symbolic to Queequeg's character as it points our attention to Queequeg's literal head that displays a very exotic hair cut and tattoos. His head embodies his foreignness in both ideology as well as its physical presentation. The head also represents Queequeg's characterization of a cannibal and the fact that he is a head collector - which inspired me to create the word cloud in the shape of a spear head with "exotic" font.

It is interesting to examine the rest of the words that make up the Queequeg's description as the thematic presentation of HUMANITY emerges through basic human descriptions along with titles and bigger thematic descriptions of light. Therefore, Queequeg himself leads us to question the complexities of humanity.

The various words presented in the word cloud function to describe Queequeg's physical appearance combined with more substantial terms such as "sun," "light," and "yellow." Is it possible that these words add a dimension of enlightenment to Queequeg's humanity? I would argue absolutely.

What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment