Monday, December 16, 2013

Reflective Post: The Interactive Internet



Reflecting on my experience learning about the digital humanities, it has continually astounded me that the web is not an encyclopedia, but an interactive medium for social connection. 

As I have researched the Do It Yourself movement, I have really connected with the Internet as a tool to share and create. My paradigm has shifted from a consumer-centered digital experience to a producer-centered experience. I now appreciate that we have the vast resources of the web because of the generous contributions of others. 

In Danielle’s final project, she focused on pursuing her editing talents in the digital realm. Her topic is extremely relevant and adds to my amazement that so many are creating and publishing interesting and worth-while content online. In looking through my Facebook news feed tonight, I came across the following post:





Not only are so many contributing to digital content online, but they are generous with the information they share and provide. 

One of the biggest intrigues I had in pursuing the Maker Movement was, “Why in the world would someone be so nice as to teach me how to make or do something that they have already mastered?”  

Apparently my Facebook friend has wondered the same thing. Earlier in the course we discussed that some simply feel the desire to contribute to a cause or build their reputation. I believe that information does not just want to be free, it wants to be social.


The web is where people go to generate discussions and talk about the topics that interest them. Passions are explored, shared, and developed… all because the internet thrives on social sharing. 

My experience with more fully appreciating the Internet as a socially connected and interactive place developed as I have created so much content this semester. Previous to this class, I had never blogged... ever. This class pulled me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to see that it is important to be a contributor rather just an online consumer. So much good comes from curating a topic you care about and generating discussion. As I reached out to amateurs and professionals in my final project, I was able to get more excited about my topic as I could tell they were excited to dialogue about DIY. Perhaps I have enjoyed being a creator online because I became a digital Maker, which is extremely satisfying.

I think that Danielle is headed in a great direction with her passion for digital editing because the web is where conversations are happening. The interactive nature of the Internet is amazing. It brings connections and information that have never been more available. I’m grateful that this class has helped me fully appreciate the social and creative content the Internet provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment