Friday, September 27, 2013

Make Something

I went to the Blizzard guy's presentation today. I have to admit that I wasn't really expecting much. I know that he was an English major (like myself) but even that couldn't really excite me. My husband was so excited, he wants to get an internship at blizzard and has already been to one of the presentations this particular guy had given during the summer. I was happy to see him so thrilled, but I still couldn't muscle much enthusiasm for the presentation.

Which is why it completely blew my mind.


I'm not a huge fan of Blizzard. I like StarCraft, but other than that they have always seemed a little subpar to me. My husband loves them (as previously stated) but if everyone there has the same attitude as the man who presented today, then I take back every bad thing I ever said about them.

The presentation was not about Blizzard. It was about creation. It was about saving the world and doing what you love to do to make that happen. As he was talking, I felt the passion he felt for the topic, and I felt an old stirring within myself. I'm not really into playing or making video games. I'm probably not going to be the person that solves the energy crisis or finds a way to preserve our fresh water. No, the only talent I've ever been really passionate about is writing.

Writing. It was amazing how people were getting different messages from what he was saying. Every word resonated with my husband. I could see it in his face. I could see his desire to create and make a difference in this world. He wants to make art, he wants to make beautiful pieces that touch the souls of his players, the way that he was touched when he was a child and the way he is touched now when he plays his games. He wants to inspire people the way he was inspired, and every word hit him with the strength of a meteor. But it's different for me. When I write, there is no art to make it shine, there is no music, no graphics, nothing besides ideas and words. But I felt the power of this idea as well.

To clarify, what he was talking about was that each and every person in that room (and on byu campus/the world) has a particular talent. Because of the internet, we can connect to people in a way that was never possible before, and find people that have our same talents and interests. Obsessed people, he called them. And obsessed people can accomplish much more than just the random bum that's been hired to do it. These people, the people who really care, are the ones that will solve all of the problems in the world. These people, us, are the ones that will take that talent and make the world a better place. Make true art. Make beautiful things simply for the sake of making something beautiful. His eyes filled with tears as he was talking about this. His passion for it filled the room, and I think it moved everybody.

So, as I sat there, listening, I felt a desire stirring within myself. The desire to create. Almost instantly all of the doubt that always comes when I think I can do something started to resurface. Who are you, it asked, to think that with words, with a story, you could change anyone? Who are you to be self centered? And I realized that I don't need to move or touch anyone. I don't need to please anyone with my words and my ideas except me. I need to create. Not because people will tell me how wonderful I am, but because I will feel wonderful. Not because anyone will appreciate what I do, but because I will appreciate what I do. Creation, connection, art, beauty, it's within the ability of all of us. And by doing what we want, we might just accidentally make the world a better place in the process. And isn't that amazing?

3 comments:

  1. So glad that you came and that you connected with Jonny Ebbert and his message (and passion). I think he's an exemplary graduate of BYU and shows how to make good on one's education in general and as an English major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I wish I had gone! What a great presentation. Thank you for sharing your take-home message with us. You are a great writer. I look forward to reading your words in a published setting someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I was a little bit surprised to see how passionate he was about the topic of creation as a whole. You could see how much it really meant to him and how much hope he has for video games and other genres in making the world a better place. Really a wonderful presentation...

    ReplyDelete