Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Belated Thoughts on the Video Reviews

I have really been enjoying watching everyone's book reviews! It's fun to see different approaches to this assignment. I've been thinking tonight about our conversation in class today.

Dr. Burton asked us to think about how doing our textual Goodreads book review differs from a video book review. I've been thinking about how on Goodreads, I'm just a voice in a sea of many voices, adding my support or discouragement towards a book. Whoever reads my review on that website knows nothing about me or my credentials. They don't have much to go off of other than my word. In a YouTube review, however, as soon as a viewer presses play on your clip, they immediately begin to form conclusions and ideas about who you are as a person and how valid your opinion is. We've talked about that before in class and it was something that I completely forgot about when preparing for my video review. While we all LOVE to look at a blank wall behind the speaker and all that dim, dungeon lighting, I wish I would have put more thought into how I can promote the book using not only my voice, but my surroundings as well. I know that the ideas and content matters more, but it's still really interesting to think about…

What do you think? I'm curious to see if you would be more willing to watch a clip and trust the speaker if they had a more visually appealing video. I think I would!! Definitely. If that is the case, then maybe we should learn more skills with video making if we are bringing that medium into book reviews and other purposes.

On a side note, I found this blog where the author gives 7 ways we can promote a book through using Vine. It focuses primarily on promoting a book that you write yourself, but it can still apply to any book. It caught my attention, because Vine is known for its videos being rather short and concise. It gives ideas for reviewing the book as well as promoting it.


No comments:

Post a Comment