Saturday, November 2, 2013

Digital Culture Classroom

I found the neatest article post today while working on my curating and book project. I'm a huge visual learner, so this was fun for me to read through. It's a great visual that displays the healthy and unhealthy directions and outcomes of when children use the internet and technology. It does a great job showing how we can teach our children at a young age, such as preschoolers, to use the internet in healthy ways, based off of what medical experts and psychologists recommend.

While I have been reading through my book, "Grown Up Digital," by Don Tapscott, I really enjoyed the chapter that specifically addresses the net generation as learners and how we should rethink education to adapt to them.

It first references a YouTube video made by Kansas State University to illustrate the challenges students face in the classroom. The chapter's mainly advocating to move from broadcast learning to interactive learning. By doing this, is transitions from "learning about" to "learning to be," and is more collaborative learning instead of individualistic learning. It's a very tailored way of education in order to fit a person and to help a student realize how the content is personally relevant to them and help them learn and create. I thought this was so interesting! As a college student, I can't say that I don't benefit or learn from any class or teacher that doesn't apply interactive learning. I think you learn what you allow yourself to learn.

I read a great article here that came out in June and it reveals the results of a three-year study that shows in a classroom, technology combined with individualized reading instructions result in a higher and better reading proficiency.

I really do agree that education should incorporate more technology and digital methods of creating into the classroom. The digital culture class that I am in right now has been a great proving point for me in understanding how beneficial it is. While the class may not focus primarily on sentence structure or memorizing poems, I have learned so much in this class that I have been able to use to further my career and family goals. Out of all of my classes, it is the one where I feel like I will continue to use what I am learning and to apply it in every aspect of my life and future learning. I think a strong presence of digital culture in a class really does enrich the learning process for students of any age.

The video here focuses on coding, but it's a great example that represents the digital culture as a whole and why and how we can incorporate it into the classroom more:


No comments:

Post a Comment