Thursday, November 28, 2013

Research for Kristen Reber

In my research for Kristen's topic, I have been increasingly interested in the effects of "labeling." In simply searching for these effects, it was immediately apparent to me that the effects of labeling are predominantly and inherently negative. Because of the abundance of research, I have decided to direct this research through the lens of it

This blog is interesting because it directly calls attention to the ways in which the professional world regards titles. It specifically calls out to English majors and the way that we should use language to efficiently connect with our intended audience. Another reason I liked this article is because it emphasizes the importance of being sensitive to titles and labels.

This article addresses labeling as causing intellectual and self-esteem hindrances. Although most of the article mentions racial stigmas, I think there is relevancy in its description of language causing negative impacts on many people of circumstance.

This last scholarly article is interesting because labeling is discussed in regards to shame and denial. The examples demonstrated regard reactions to addictions or unhealthy behaviors such as lack of debt management. We can both agree that coming home with honor is not wrong in any way. However, I do believe one of the purposes for your project is to cater to individuals struggling with the frustration, self-doubt, and confusion resulting from returning early for medical issues.

Kristen, I hope this is helpful to you. Unfortunately after the funeral last week, I have been sick and am rather behind so I wish I had gotten this to you sooner. Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment