Monday, October 7, 2013

Midterm 2

This post is going to be a variety of thoughts and research collaborated in efforts to eventually produce something more refined. I've been struggling a little bit in tying Moby Dick into my topic without stretching it too much and while still having enough to write about, so please share any thoughts or suggestions if you have any. 

Ok so the question that I proposed in my first question was: 
How do gatekeepers determine what is and is not permissible for the digital world, and are these decisions biased or intended to improve the quality of life for the public as a whole?

So I'm going to be focusing on the "how", the "why", and the "what" of gatekeeping.... What the consequences of gatekeeping are. Eli Pariser made an argument in a TED Talk where he argues that the gatekeepers are hindering the growth and learning of the public by how they filter the internet. I did more research and there are quite a few people that support his argument as well. I was planning on furthering the support, but found that I couldn't maintain a strong enough argument. I just disagree with it. I talked with my team members about it today and they really helped in making me feel confident in my decision to change my side and be against it. 

This article interviews Steve Wozniak and quotes him saying how the internet has gone from being a very free open space to do anything you wanted, to being much more restricted and confined to social norms and personal interests. 


The TED talk by Eli Pariser argues that the filtering done by the internet gatekeepers is more detrimental than beneficial to us individually and as a democracy. He also discusses how gatekeepers have gone from being human, to algorithms.

I'll include more research in here as well, but I'll be sure to not make it a research paper.

My team helped me to start thinking about how gatekeeping doesn't restrict, but it opens doors. Brittany made a great point in how I can look at Ahab's relationship with Pip and show how that's an example of gatekeeping opening up opportunities that were unexpected and unrealistic had it not been there. I also love Victoria's comment below at looking at the production of Moby Dick instead of solely its content in regards to gatekeeping.


Moby Dick
- The vast ocean is the digital world/internet
- Ahab is the gatekeeper. He decides what is acceptable or not on the voyage and what the crew are allowed to do.
- As a sidenote, I feel he is also a person who negatively and unhealthily uses the digital media in an excessive way. The obsessive hunt for Moby Dick has become his only reality. 
- Ahab's desires are biased, self-serving, selfish. 
- Whaling used to be an experience with a larger common goal and objective. Whaling with Captain Ahab however, is more restricted and confined to HIS goal and objective. 



Digital Culture:
Wikipedia article on gatekeeping communication
Net Neutrality is what Steve Wozniak referenced 








2 comments:

  1. Here's an idea, when Moby Dick came out, did it need to go through a gatekeeper in order to become the classic it was? Besides just the content of the book, you could look into the history of how it became popular and what gatekeepers it needed to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have examples in MD of gatekeeping being restrictive as well? I think it would be good to talk about the opportunities as well as the filters but just make sure to bring in enough Moby Dick examples.

    ReplyDelete