Friday, October 18, 2013

Diigo meets DIY

I'm starting to use Diigo.

Do I like it? Kind of.

At first, I was kind of confused because I didn't understand why you would use Diigo instead of Pintrest. However, I have thought about it and I think that Diigo works well with article/blog finds. Pintrest directs to article/blog posts, but it doesn't allow you to highlight or "sticky note" your findings to make your research more effective.

To be honest, I tried the highlighting feature and wasn't sure how to access that afterward. I'm going to continue playing with it but I will probably look for Diigo DIY instructions for further use.

Which brings me to what I am curating: The DIY Movement

I found a list of 5 Ways to Promote DIY and it inspired me to create a brief list of information I've gathered while curating this fascinating movement.

1. History of the Maker Subculture - This article most interested me because Christ Anderson describes the DIY Movement as "what happens when the Web meets the real world."

2. Inspiration - This blog reflects the author's hope for youth to create a better world through the DIY Movement as we "face the economic conditions of our time with remarkable ingenuity, courage, and grace."

3.Skill set- Although this article focuses specifically on Home Decor, it perceives DIY for seekers of "identity enhancement, ...uniqueness, craftsmanship, and empowerment."


Reflecting on #3, how do you think DIY contributes to identity enhancement in the digital age? How does it provide empowerment to digital users?

1 comment:

  1. That should be really interesting! For myself, I feel that the DIY movement works in opposite directions for people. There is the group posting "Pinterest Fails", who try to replicate the projects and lifestyles they see online, and then there is the group that I think almost forms their identity as crafters, or DIYers (or whatever the proper name for that group would be). I have friends who in their free time, that's what they do. They just always have to have some form of project going on, even if it would be cheaper and more efficient to just buy whatever they're doing. I'm interested to see what you curate!

    ReplyDelete