Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Transition

We've talked about how blog writing is different from academic writing and why that is both a good and bad thing. In Dr. Burton's blog post The Three Phases of Academic Blogging, he talks about how to best transition from regular, thought blog posts to better researched topics, until finally we reach the full blown academic paper. Hopefully this final stage will help to produce an even better, more well thought out, and clear paper than anything we (as academics) would have been able to produce otherwise. That's the idea anyway.

This past midterm was definitely a learning experience for me. During the midterm interview I confessed that, "I'm good at blogging because I'm very opinionated. It's the next step that I'm worried about." I could tell that that was NOT what they wanted to hear. It's easy to be opinionated, it's much more difficult to do sound research and talk through things clearly. It's even more difficult to make an argument that is respected by an academic community that reads hundreds of arguments from undergraduates every single day. The entire point of these blogging exercises is to practice writing and to get better at it. The point is not to simply state your opinion and walk away.

This transition from "opinion" to "scholarly" is difficult for me. It's much easier (which is why it isn't as valued) to just state your views and move on with your life. That's why comments are so rampant these days. But making something really worth reading, something that people can credit as knowledgeable and reliable, now that's a really interesting feat.

That's not to say that blogs and bloggers don't have credibility. They do. As we've discussed in class, sometimes bloggers are more highly valued than journalists and especially academics. Most everyday, casual readers looking for information would much rather read an interesting blog post on a subject than read a scholarly article on it. There's a reason for this. Mainly because reading a scholarly article can confuse you rather than help you understand, and because scholarly articles expect you to try to follow them. The article that we read for class today, about Digital Humanities, had a lot of German and French words thrown in that were never explained. It also gave references to a lot of events that the average reader wouldn't automatically pick up on. It's extremely easy to find out this information: Just google it. But something (rebellious, uncaring, stubborn) inside me just wasn't interested enough in looking for the information. This is 100% a problem with my reading ability, but at the same time I can't help but feel like the writer should be doing what he or she can to keep the reader interested. Then again, it's very possible that I simply wasn't the audience he was aiming for.

That's the good thing about quick, easy, opinionated blogging. It doesn't take any effort to follow and you can agree or disagree without there being any emotional trauma. This isn't the case with academic writing. Academic writing seems to involve a whole other sphere of understanding. When I read an peer reviewed article, I'm way more careful about simply dismissing their opinion. This is the strength of it. But there has to be a way of combining the readability and ease of blogging with the respect and concise writing of the academic paper.

This is what I have to learn.

The midterm paper was tough for me. I don't think I've ever gotten as bad a grade on a paper since I've come to BYU. This was my fault, because I didn't learn to use the mediums to my full ability. I have the writing skills to do the paper justice, but I was too enthralled with the ease of blogging. I added in some sources that I found interesting, but I talked with my reader in the simple, loose language of a blog post, rather than the precise, prestigious language of a scholar. And because of that, my paper did not carry the weight that I wanted it to. It wasn't persuasive and I lost credibility. I'm irritated with myself because I know that I could have done better. I know how to write a good academic paper. This isn't a medium I'm foreign too. I'm a senior here at BYU with my degree in English. I know how to do this. What I'm upset about is that I didn't use what I know of academic blogging to mix with the flow of an academic paper in order to make it be better than my papers have been in the past -- instead of worse.

I'm hoping that with practice, I'll be able to really transition between the two mediums and come up with a mix that I'll use with my remaining English classes. I'm with Dr. Burton and Kristen on not being satisfied with the usual research paper. I want to do better, write better, and be both entertaining and informative. The trick is just figuring out how. But I think this class is a pretty good way to start. ;)

5 comments:

  1. These lines in your post stood out the most to me: ". Most everyday, casual readers looking for information would much rather read an interesting blog post on a subject than read a scholarly article on it. There's a reason for this. Mainly because reading a scholarly article can confuse you rather than help you understand, and because scholarly articles expect you to try to follow them."

    I think this is the largest reason why I am tired of scholarly articles. The writers have been trained to expect their readers to just "follow along" or "figure it out." Granted, many are written for other scholars studying the same subject. The wonderful thing about an academic blog is that it can still have this elevated tone, but it can provide interactive links for the reader to click on and go straight to the source the author is referring to.

    I'm also still working out what it means to "academically blog." We want our tones to be elevated, but not as elevated as they would be in a scholarly article, right? Blogs are meant to be a more approachable medium for the reader. And so, this raises the question, what is the proper tone for academia? Does the medium really matter? Does tone establish credibility or do legitimate sources establish credibility? Or is it both?

    Anyways, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on academic blogging and scholarly writing. They helped me sort out a bit of my own (as you can tell). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I was just looking at the Goodreads list again and you might be interested in the book "Rainbow's End." It's fiction but it ties in what we're learning in this class. It sounds like a really good, entertaining, yet informational story. You seem interested in doing this kind of writing. You might look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you said that it will take practice to really get good at this new type of writing. I sometimes feel stressed out after class because I feel like I am being asked to change the way I think and write right now. I feel like I should be good at the second phase of academic blogging right now. Thank you for reminding me that it takes time, patience, and a lot of practice. This is what I needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great questions! I think legitimate sources are a must for credibility. Tone probably helps but I think sources are better just because it shows that you've done your homework and have something worth while to say (granted that your sources are good). I personally hate when celebrities give public political statements because in my mind I'm thinking, "why in the heck would I be listening to you if I wanted the latest political scoop?!" But then again, especially in blogging, we need to be personable/likeable to attract readers that will eventually follow us and take us seriously. The balance is hard!! But I think you're much closer than you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that learning the balance can be tricky! I agree with Brittany that I think the "what" that you're discussing and how you show that your opinions are credible is what makes the difference. I feel that part of the transition to the new phases in blogging is in part how credible we can make ourselves. How we show that we have done our research and now will have substantial things to contribute, so that when we do launch our own project, people have a reason to listen, because it's not just our thoughts and feelings being thrown out into the blogging wold.

    ReplyDelete