Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Conversion to DIY

As we were introduced to Exploration and talking about the "Do It Yourself" Movement, I briefly mentioned that I cut my husband's hair. And it's great! I'm going to explain how and why I became hooked on all things "DIY."

Last Christmas, my husband received a set of Wahl hair clippers. Aside from "man-scaping," he wanted to put them to good use so I decided I wanted to learn how to cut his hair. So for my birthday, he got me some essentials from Target (I know... you're thinking "practical gift much?" Welcome to marriage! :) ) So I became fully equipped with some of the things below.


Then Spencer and I sat on the couch and watched a couple YouTube videos until we found one we liked. Unfortunately, I've looked for the exact video and can't find it. Basically, it was a Hispanic woman giving a legitimate haircut to a boy in a salon with very home-grown videography. She  explained how to cut hair with clippers and then transition to scissors. So now you know that I'm no Paul Mitchell graduate!

I just gave my husband a haircut this past Sunday night so I thought I'd show you the result!

Before:


 
After:
 

Just for fun, I looked into DIY haircuts and found a trend among women cutting their own hair to make a statement. Elle's website writes an August 2013 article entitled, "DIY Haircuts -Why Women Choose to Chop." I found the following statement amusing:

"Kitchen scissors are generally the tool of choice. Medine uses "the scissors you use to cut open packaging." It's almost a badge of honor.  'I love telling people that I cut [my hair] in five minutes with my kitchen scissors,' Urbinati said.  'It makes me feel kind of punk.'"

Okay, I'll admit I don't use kitchen scissors. And I don't feel "punk." But it saves us money and gives me self-gratification and I've learned a new skill. And my husband looks dang good!

What new skills can you develop online? What is something you'd like to try?

2 comments:

  1. DIY stuff actually terrifies me. I've never been good with stuff like that. But it is definitely a good way to save money! And it helps people be more crafty. I think I'd like to learn how to make Halloween costumes. I have no craft skills, or sewing skills, whatsoever, so doing something like that would be greatly ranging in the disaster zone, but it might be fun! I know there are tons of stuff you can find online for DIY projects, so this is a very full area of research!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try this. It would be fun and save us money too! Good for you for learning how to cut your husband's hair, and good for your husband for letting you! He looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete