Sunday, September 8, 2013

Queequeg - Perfectly Content to Make You Uncomfortable

Hey! I'm jumping ahead a little bit. I know not everyone is done with their introductions but I just finished the Moby Dick reading assignment and really want to talk about it.

That would be terrifying
I've heard about Moby Dick throughout my life. I'm pretty sure we all have. But when I started the book I had no idea that it would talk about such complex issues. Specifically in the character of Queequeg. Here is a character that I find infinitely more complex, interesting, and engaging than any of the other characters I've met so far in the book. His very existence brings multiple problems into light that reflect not just the society of the day, but also the society that we live in today. His introduction was vivid and left a clear picture in my mind. Tattooed, large, pagan and a cannibal, he isn't what might be considered the "ideal" bedmate. I loved how Ishmael freaked out at the idea of sharing a bed with anyone, before he even knew that Queequeg was a "savage" or a "cannibal." That so clearly reflects the way people (men in particular) react to such things, even today. I know of several men who would rather sleep on the hard floor than share a bed with another man.

Gotta admit, this would make me uncomfortable too
Queequeg seems to me to be a representation of everything that makes Christians and men uncomfortable. I love it. Ishmael talks about extremely important issues that surrounded the day - and now- about religion and whether or not it's "okay" not to be Christian. He says that he shouldn't judge other people because they are of a different religion. This is amazing, simply because of the time this book was written. But besides religion, Queequeg is just an awkward character. Awkward meaning he pushes the social boundaries that our society has put in place. He cuddles with a strange man, embraces him and calls them married once they've become friends, and also offers Ishmael the opportunity to pray to his god. He's everything that makes men uncomfortable.

I'm deeply invested in this character already. Even though this book was obviously written way before the Internet, I feel like Queequeg could be a metaphor for it. A little awkward, a little unruly, and constantly reminding you (sometimes without trying) that we can't really judge other people. Of course, there is the dark side of the internet, but we'll see if Queequeg embodies that portion as well.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your connections of Queequeg relating to modern male stereotypes. It's interesting to see how Melville is giving us a feeling for what his culture is like yet also challenging stereotypes by throwing in such an unconventional character. Your analogy of Queequeg is very thought provoking and I definitely see that connection. I'd also like to add that I really admire the structure of your post and the way it conveys your critical analysis of the text. I thoroughly enjoyed your view of Queequeg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your statement of how Queequeg embodies all that discomforts Christians. Cannibalistic, he threatens to kill Ishmael, he's always using that harpoon of his to do his deeds - he really sends us very dark and violent vibes toward his surroundings. It's interesting to me that Ishmael is content in believing that while rough on the exterior, Queequeg is honest and a good man inside. I also really appreciated the layout of your blog here. It kept my attention the whole time, I found it thought provoking and still entertaining, and I loved the graphics you included. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Queequeg is such an interesting character. I wonder where Melville drew his inspiration for him. While Queequeg is certainly awkward and easily makes those around him uncomfortable, I find it fascinating that Ishmael is so very comfortable around him (once he gets to know him better) and even begins to accept some of Queequeg's ideas. What is the difference between Ishmael and other men, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Queequeg? Awkward? I think out of all the characters in the book Queequeg is the most self-assured. Everyone ELSE is insecure about themselves, that much he brings out.

    ReplyDelete